- 2022—The Rabbi’s Yahrzeit was observed on Friday night December 16, 2022. The evening began with a Kabbalat Shabbat and the dedication of the new Valley Beth Shalom Schulweis Chapel in memory of Rabbi and Malkah Schulweis and the new Ellie and Mark Leiner Beit Midrash. After a Community Shabbat Dinner, Rabbi Ed Feinstein of Valley Beth Shalom and Rabbi Ari Averbach were featured in a Conversation entitled “Carrying Rabbi Schulweis’ Legacy into the Future”. The first of a series of exhibits being developed by the HMSI Library Program, “Hakarat Hatov—The Recognition of Goodness” opened in the Ellie and Mark Lainer Beit Midrash opened that evening
- 2021-2020—The public observance of the Rabbi’s Yahrzeit was delayed due to the pandemic until a one hour Havdalah tribute service could be prepared for streaming in January 2021. The Havdalah service was led by Rabbi Ed Feinstein and Cantor Phil Baron from Valley Beth Shalom. Rabbi Feinstein then spoke about the Rabbi’s eventful life and his teachings, and introduced several video recordings of highlights of the Rabbi’s life. A full recording is available on the Life and Times page of this website. CLICK HERE to access. After the streaming presentation, a live Zoom session was convened and members of the community shared their experiences with Rabbi Schulweis and described the impact he had on their lives. That Zoom session was recorded, and you can find excerpts of people’s comments on the Life and Times section of this website. CLICK HERE to access.
- 2019—Dr.Uri Herscher, born in Tel Aviv, is an American rabbi and academic, founder and CEO of the Skirball Cultural Center, an educational institution in Los Angeles devoted to sustaining Jewish Heritage and American democratic ideals. Rabbi Herscher is a very dear and close friend of Rabbi Schulweis whom he credits with his becoming a rabbi.
- 2018—Rabbi Irving and Blu Greenberg. Rabbi Greenberg, also known as Yitz, is an American scholar, author and Orthodox rabbi. He is known as a strong supporter of Israel, and a promotor of greater understanding between Judaism and Christianity. Blu Greenberg is an American writer specializing in modern Judaism and women’s issues who founded the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance.
- 2017—Rabbi Avi Weiss. Avraham Haim Yosef ha Cohen is a modern Orthodox ordained rabbi, author, teacher, lecturer and activist who heads the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale in The Bronx, New York. He is he founder of Yeshivat Chovevei Torah, a rabbinical seminary referred to as “Open Orthodox, an offshoot of Orthodoxy.
- 2016—Chancellor Arnold Eisen, Jewish Theological Seminary. Dr. Eisen or Arnie, as he is usually referred by, is an academic and an American Judaic Scholar. He has served on the faculties of Stanford, Tel Aviv and Columbia Universities. Over the weekend he spoke about Rabbi Schulweis’ place in contemporary Jewish thought.
- 2015—Rabbi David Ellenson, President of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, a leader of the Reform movement in Judaism. Dr. Ellenson is a scholar of modern Jewish thought and history, recognized for his writings and publications in these fields.
Notice of future programs will appear in this space as they are scheduled.