- Evil and the Morality of God (1984, 2010)
On the problem of God and evil, theodicy, complete with Rabbi Schulweis’ proposed “predicate theology” outlined in his own words
- In God’s Mirror: Reflections and Essays (1990)
Essays ranging from topics such as the Jewish holidays, the family and the synagogue to Jewish pluralism, the Holocaust and death
- Passages in Poetry with music by Aminadav Aloni (1990) (P)
Poetic reflections on birth, confirmation, marriage, sickness and death – life’s rites of passage – put to music by long-time friend and composer, the late Ami Aloni
- For Those Who Can’t Believe: Overcoming the Obstacles to Faith (1994)
Writings intended for those searching for non-fundamentalist answers to difficult religious questions, applying reason and fresh insights from Jewish tradition
- From Birth to Immortality: Meditations on the Rites of Passage (1998) (P)
“Unreflected ritual observance can easily turn into mechanical gestures… [In contrast] these meditations remind us of a personal past, that informs the present, inspires the future,” including the subjects of birth/brit, bar/bat mitzvah, the wedding, sickness and health, mourning, Godliness and immortality.
- Finding Each Other in Judaism: Meditations on the Rites of Passage from Birth to Immortality (2001)
An invaluable remedy for “riteless passages” (marking life’s stages without spiritual reflection) and “passageless rites” (the use of desacralizing ritual, the trivialization of ritual).
- When You Lie Down and When You Rise Up: Nightstand Meditations (2001) (P)
“A prayer book for the nightstand… when the individual is alone and in need of personal expression and support…Read one from the first part of the book on lying down, and one from the second…on rising up.”
- Conscience: The Duty to Obey and the Duty to Disobey (2008)
A clarion call for all to challenge a culture of obedience with a culture of moral compassion, with an emphasis on courageous moral dissent
- Under the Shadow of Thy Wings: Introduction and Foreword by Rabbi Harold M. Schulweis (2009)
The testimony of Jews by Choice who share their personal journeys, accompanied by the commentary of 9 prominent rabbis from different Jewish schools of thought. Also included are meditations of Rabbi Schulweis inspired by encounters with spiritual seekers who found their home in Judaism.
- Judaism: Embracing the Seeker (2010)
57 Jews by Choice answer the question “Why I am a Jew” and 9 rabbis speak to Judaism’s challenge to reach out to the world
- Rabbi Harold M. Schulweis From Prose to Poetry (2015) (P)
The largest collection of Rabbi Schulweis’ wisdom, expressed in both prose and poetry, including reflections on the family, life’s lessons, Judaism and its rites of passage, genocide, humanity and “the conspiracy of goodness”